Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)


Director: Sidney Lanfield
TCM broadcast

Just like Karloff's Frankenstein or Lugosi's Dracula, Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes is the image that is most conjured up when the name is mentioned. This is the first of fourteen films in which Rathbone would play him. It's a well done adaptation that moves along briskly enough and has some well staged scenes out on the moors covered in fog. Watson is played a little too much for laughs in my opinion and some of the other characters seem to sit lifelessly on the screen, but an enjoyable watch nonetheless. The only real problem I had with it is that I couldn't help but compare it to the Terence Fisher version made for Hammer Films and starring Cushing, Lee, and Morell which I find to be better in every way. Admittedly I am biased as I find it hard to imagine a better combination of people working on a film together.

7/10

1 comment:

  1. "I find it hard to imagine a better combination of people working on a film together."
    - I know that's right! Keep on speakin' that truth.

    ReplyDelete