Tuesday, December 29, 2009

(500) Days of Summer (2009)


Director: Marc Webb
Fox Searchlight DVD

The word most associated with this movie that I heard was "precious". So already the film is fighting an uphill battle to capture my affections. Then the film starts with text where the filmmaker calls someone (presumably an ex-girlfriend that this story is about) a "bitch". Now the hole is dug even deeper. The film that followed is nothing more than a love story with an unhappy ending that is packaged in an arty way so you won't notice that nothing new is going on here. At least nothing that Godard or Hal Hartley haven't done before and done better. But the most annoying aspect is really the director's inclusion of 80's pop culture references that are constantly being shoved down our throats by characters that look way too young to know what they're talking about. Unless the film is set in the nineties and I missed it. The leads (Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel) are charming enough but their characters are hard to relate to. I also have to take points away for naming the main character "Summer" and another character (SPOILER ALERT!!) "Autumn" in a truly groan worthy scene that I refer to as "Handle with Care" moments (Simpsons reference). On first viewing it, I didn't have a strong dislike for it, but it's shortcomings seem to be more pronounced the more I think about it. Therefore, I will stop thinking about it.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment